A Skinny Vanilla Latte offers all the taste and caffeine of the standard version but with fewer calories. Espresso, nonfat milk, and sugar-free vanilla syrup combine to create a lighter version of this classic.
What is a Skinny Vanilla Latte?
A Skinny Vanilla Latte is a creamy and sweet espresso drink that’s a low-calorie version of a standard vanilla latte. You’ve probably seen it on the menu at Starbucks or perhaps at your local coffee shop.
And, while the Skinny Vanilla Latte has fewer calories, it does not sacrifice flavor, you can still taste that robust vanilla flavor come through on this drink.
A vanilla latte is similar to a regular latte, with the addition of vanilla syrup. Normally, a full-fat vanilla latte is made with a double shot of Starbucks’ blonde espresso, steamed whole milk, and vanilla sugar syrup.
Thanks to Starbucks, this skinny version is made with nonfat milk and sugar-free vanilla syrup (plus espresso, of course).
This sugar-free vanilla latte drink is typically served without whipped cream to lower the calorie count. This skinny latte can be topped off with a light dusting of cinnamon for an extra touch of calorie-free flavor.
This post includes affiliate links.
Why You’ll Love It
A Skinny Vanilla Latte is the perfect choice when you’re in the mood for a sweet, creamy coffee beverage with fewer calories.
- This is a tasty drink that is sweeter than a plain latte with the addition of sugar-free vanilla syrup.
- Making this drink keto-friendly is easy (see the Tips and Tricks section).
- You can make it hot or iced. It’s one of the few skinny drinks that’s delicious either way!
- Contains nearly 100 fewer calories per drink than a regular grande vanilla latte.
- It’s lower in sugar, carbs, and fat than a standard vanilla latte.
- Nonfat milk
- Sugar-free vanilla syrup
- 2 shots of espresso
- Pinch of cinnamon
Using nonfat (skim) milk is crucial for this recipe to keep it “skinny.” If you need to avoid dairy, unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk are great options too.
For sugar-free syrups, Torani is a popular and reliable brand for high-quality beverages. Look for a sugar-free vanilla syrup that’s specifically made for beverages.
Use a fine grind and clear filtered water for the richest and most flavorful espresso.
Finally, sprinkling your Skinny Vanilla Latte with a dusting of cinnamon is a great way to add extra flavor without adding calories or sugar.
Measure the ingredients using a digital scale for the most accurate version of this Starbucks copycat recipe.
Additionally, if you don’t have an espresso machine’s steam wand, no problem. You can use a handheld frother instead, or even whisk the milk vigorously while heating it on the stove.
A long-handled spoon helps to hold back the foam as you pour the milk, then scoops your desired amount of foam atop the latte.
- Prepare the mug. Pour the sugar-free vanilla syrup into the bottom of a warm mug.
- Pull a double shot of espresso. Add it to the mug.
- Steam the nonfat milk with the steam wand on your espresso machine. If you don’t have a steam wand, heat the milk in a saucepan on the stove. While heating, whisk or aerate it with a frother until it’s hot and frothy.
- Pour the steamed milk over the syrup and espresso shots, leaving some room at the top for the foam.
- If you like foam, spoon a bit of foam on top of the drink. This is optional. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon for extra flavor if desired.
Tips and Tricks
- To make a dairy-free Skinny Vanilla Latte with even fewer calories, use unsweetened almond or soy milk instead of nonfat dairy milk.
- If you’re on a keto diet, you can make this Skinny Vanilla Latte a keto vanilla latte. To do this, substitute unsweetened almond milk in place of nonfat milk.
- Don’t have an espresso machine or a milk frother to make foam? Try foaming up the milk in a blender instead.
Starbucks Skinny Vanilla Latte (Copycat Recipe)
- Espresso machine with a steam wand
- Digital Scale
- 12-ounce glass or mug
- 10 oz non-fat milk
- 1/2 oz sugar-free vanilla syrup (such as Torani)
- 2 shots of espresso
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Pour the sugar-free vanilla syrup into the bottom of a warm mug.
- Pull a double shot of espresso. Add it to the mug. Starbucks uses its blonde espresso blend, but you can substitute with any other beans.
- Begin steaming the non-fat milk with the steam wand on your espresso machine. If you don't have a steam wand, heat the milk in a saucepan on the stove while aerating it with a frother or whisking until it becomes hot and frothy.
- Pour the steamed milk over the syrup and espresso, leaving a little room at the top for the foam.
- If you like foam, spoon a bit of foam on top of the latte. Most lattes are made using minimal foam, but you should always follow what tastes right to you.
- If desired, sprinkle some cinnamon on top for extra flavor.
Make It Iced
An Iced Skinny Vanilla Latte is a real treat. It can become your new favorite way to enjoy this low calorie beverage that will make your morning feel a little brighter. Here’s how to make it:
- Start by filling a glass with large cubes of ice.
- Pour your freshly-pulled espresso over the top.
- Froth the cold skim milk in a jar, deep glass, or cup. Gently pour the frothed milk over the iced espresso to finish.
- Enjoy your skinny iced vanilla latte!
A standard vanilla latte is made with whole milk and vanilla syrup, while a skinny Starbucks vanilla latte is lower in calories. This is because it’s made with nonfat milk and sugar-free vanilla syrup.
“Skinny” means this latte has no added grams of sugar. However, the nonfat milk does contain some natural sugars, at about 12 grams per 8-ounce cup. To avoid these natural sugars, consider using unsweetened non-dairy milk or a different kind of milk, such as almond milk to reduce the overall sugar content.
A 12-ounce Skinny Vanilla Latte has around 110-120 calories.
Before you go – join me for a weekly coffee date! Put your email in the box below and you’ll not only get added my weekly email with coffee tips, recipes and more but you’ll also get 3 Starbucks Copycat coffee recipe cards delivered right to your inbox!